Park City, UT — Friday, July 28, 2006 (backdated)

Kelly and I decided it was time for a much-needed vacation, so we packed our bags and headed out to Park City, UT for some R&R.  This is a log of our activities.  It is more for my own sake so that when I'm old and senile, I can look back at what I did in my youth, but feel free to read on.

Flight departure time: 6:15am
Time we were supposed to wake up: 4:30am
Time we actually woke up: 5:00am

It's a good thing Darci was staying with us to drive us the 1/2 hour to the airport, or else we probably would have missed our flight!

Anyway, neither of us got much sleep the night before because we were up visiting with Darci and packing last minute items.  As soon as the wheels of the plane left the ground, I was out, and it seemed like we were on the ground in Salt Lake City ten minutes later.  Rumor has it that I am an open-mouthed sleeper.*

After we grabbed our bags and got the rental car, we headed up the road to Park City.  It’s not that far away.  It only took us 30 minutes to get up here.  SLC wasn’t much to look at, but Park City is a beautiful spot. 

We parked the car and walked through the old historic Main Street.  It’s a quaint little scene with all kinds of shops geared toward the enormous tourist population that flocks here during the winter.  During the summer, though, it’s nice.  Unlike anywhere in California, Park City is not crowded at all.  It’s such an ideal summer destination, partly because of its proximity to other locations, but also due to its lack of hordes.  It is so nice.  I can’t recall a time where we’ve been in a setting that is so relaxing.  This was a much-needed break, and I’m glad we picked Park City.

Free Image Hosting at We ate lunch at this place called The No Name Saloon.  They had Buffalo Burgers on the menu, supposedly made out of real buffalo.  They could have used a little seasoning, and didn’t really taste that different compared to regular beef.  The garlic fries were excellent, though.  We also heard that this is a very popular watering hole.

After a couple of hours downtown, we headed out to the Jordanelle Reservoir.  We had planned on just driving around, but there were no crowds, and the weather was great, so we went to the marina and bought some bottled water and beach towels and hit the beach.  The water was a little chilly, but it felt nice to be lying there on the beach with nothing to do or worry about.

After the lake, we drove around a little community in a valley called Heber City.  It looks like it would be a nice place to live.  There are a lot of chalets and inns and resorts.  We stopped to look at real estate, just out of morbid curiosity.  The “cottage” we looked at was 4700 sq ft, and it was selling for $800k.  Unreal.  It was definitely meant to be a vacation house, the way it was set up.  It was pretty sweet.

IMG_1843 By this time, we were ready to check in.  We headed over to the Canyons Resort and got into our condo.  It’s a nice little 1-bed, 1-bath joint with a great view out onto a small meadow at the bottom of the mountains.  There were a couple of horses meandering through the valley.  It was kind of cool – they came up to the fence and let the little kids staying in our resort pet them.

Being that we’d been on the go since 5am, we were pretty tired, so we just went to the store and got some snacks.  For dinner, we had a nice, nutritious vat of 7-layer dip**.  Yum yum.  We keeled over from exhaustion pretty early, but all in all, it was a great day.

* Rumor also has it that I don't give a damn.
** aka Assrocket Compound #1357