Park City, UT — Monday, July 31, 2006

Kelly and I decided it was time for a much-needed vacation, so we packed our bags and headed out to Park City, UT for some R&R.  This is a log of our activities.  It is more for my own sake so that when I'm old and senile, I can look back at what I did in my youth, but feel free to read on.

The last day.  *sigh*

Check out time was 10am, so we didn’t have much time.  We packed up, cleaned the condo, and then headed downtown for breakfast at The Eating Establishment.  I decided to forgo Eggs Benedict for a house specialty called the Spanish Dawn.  You can read all about it on their menu.  I was a little weary at first, but it was gooood.

After breakfast, we had some time to kill before heading to the airport.  On a tip from a local, we drove east out to Kamas and toured the countryside.  About 45 minutes into the drive, just past the town of Oakley, we saw a sign stating that we would run into I-80 if we stayed on the current road.  Not knowing how far away the junction might be, we stopped at a state park to inquire.  The nice, teenage girl had no clue.  Kelly later observed, quite astutely, that the girl had probably never been outside of Oakley in her entire life.  If true, how sad.

Well, that was it.  After our countryside tour, it was time to head home, so we dropped off the car and boarded a plane back to Sactown. 

I didn’t know what to expect on my first trip to Utah.  I had this vision of crazy pitchfork-carrying Mormons chasing us down the street because we’d had some wine with dinner.  However, we found the population of Park City to be comparatively diverse and accommodating. 

One common, recurring theme for the trip was how relaxing it was.  We were under no pressure.  We weren’t operating under any strict schedules.  No projects were due.  There were no crowds.  We did what we wanted to do, when we wanted to do it.  It was pure bliss.  I just hope that if and when we return to Park City, it meets all of our heightened expectations.